Is there anyone in the UK who hasn’t heard of fish and chips? Is there anyone who hasn’t tried it? This dish has quickly become the most popular one around the country. There is just something about the combination of hot potato chips and delicious fried battered fish that makes this dish great for lunch and dinner, or even breakfast!
It is true that fish and chips are primarily associated with takeaway food. Many shops across the UK now even bear the name ‘Fish and chips’ as a definition of the menu they offer. Be that as it may, you should not treat the dish as something you can only get from a shop. You are free to make your fish and chips at home. In fact, you should do so, as it involves no oven cleaning and truly provides Britain’s signature dish without taking too much of your time.
Here is what you will need for the basic recipe of 4 servings:
- Four big potatoes – peel and cut them into strips
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 quart of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 to 1.5-pound cod fillet
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Now that you have everything needed, here is how you prepare it:
- Put potatoes in a mid-sized bowl and add cold water. Separately, take another mid-sized bowl and mix the baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Stir in the egg and milk, until you get a smooth mixture. Don’t be quick to use it – let it sit for about 20 minutes for best results.
- Grab an electric skillet or a pot and preheat the oil to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Fry potatoes in the hot oil, until they become tender or however you like them best. You can use paper towels to drain them from the excess oil.
- Dredge fish in the batter, a single fillet at a time. Place in the hot oil and keep it there until the fish turns golden brown. You can increase the heat, but remember to keep the temperature around 175 degrees Celsius. Again, you can drain on paper towels.
- Additionally fry the potatoes for a minute or two, to make them extra crispy.
Just like that, for 10 minutes or so, you can have delicious fish and chips at the convenience of your home. No oven cleaning involved!