Two June recipes you just cannot miss out on
It is June, and you are looking to enrich your cooking repertoire. Why not start from the foods that are in abundance this time of the year? After all, if you don’t use the seasonal ingredients, you will definitely be missing out on a rich flavour and plenty of good food. To spark up your interest and taste buds, we have prepared two wonderful June recipes that you should try out as soon as possible.
First up, let’s check out the watercress and feta risotto with salmon
Watercress is, without a doubt at its best in June. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to incorporate it into your cooking efforts. It is a good thing there is such an amazing and tasty recipe that features this plant. To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 30ml. olive oil
- 15g. butter
- 60ml. white wine (roughly 4tbsp.)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 250ml. boiling water
- 400g. Arborio rice
- 15ml. double cream
- 100g. crumbled feta cheese
- 350ml. vegetable stock
- 4 skin-on salmon fillets
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g. watercress chopped roughly
- Truffle oil
- Salt and black pepper
Now that you have prepared the ingredients, here is the step-by-step cooking process:
- Prepare the salmon – preheat the oven to 200 degrees and place the fillets in a piece of foil. Season them with black pepper and salt, add a little lemon juice. Make a parcel by folding the foil and then bake on the tray for about 15 minutes. Test with a fork to see when the salmon can easily flake. Discard the skin when it is cooked well enough.
- Cook the risotto – heat the olive oil and butter in a big enough pan. Then, add the onion and cook them for about 3 minutes. You should check to see if they have become translucent. After that, add the lemon zest and garlic. Stir as you cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the white wine to the pan, then include the rice and stir.
- Add in the other ingredients – mix the vegetable stock and hot water and stir until most of the liquid gets absorbed. Keep at it until all of the liquid is added, and the rice acquires a glossy look. It should be tender but still retain some bite. Add the cheese and stir to get a decent mix.
- Remove the pan – as you remove the pan from the heat, it is time to add the watercress, cream and fish juices you kept previously. Stir well to combine. Fold in the salmon flakes. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if need be.
Now, for the second recipe, it is actually a drink, but all you Gin lovers out there will appreciate it big time. It is time to add some strawberry to your favourite tipple. Since strawberries are plenty in June, you should try this Gin recipe with the following ingredients: 400-500g. strawberries, 700ml. gin and 150g. caster sugar.
Here is how you mix them:
- Crush the strawberries by using a masher (you can also use a fork).
- Place them in a jar
- Add in the gin and caster sugar.
- Shake the mix
- Leave the jar somewhere in the room for about 3 days.
- Shake it twice a day so that the sugar can more easily dissolve.
- When ready, strain the mix and place it in a bottle.
- Now you are ready to refresh your June days with a taste of strawberry Gin.
Now that you know of these 2 wonderful June recipes, you should give them a shot. You and everyone else you cook for will be quite impressed!